Attack of the Patio Eating Lantana

I don’t know about where you live, but down here in Orlando, every nursery sells these cutesy little lantana sprigs. They come in little peat pots for like a dollar and the flowers are SO cute. The butterflies LOVE them, so it’s a great selling point. I’m sure the Lantana nurseries get a secret giggle just knowing what’s going to happen to every hapless person that sees the little cutey and thinks, “ooh! I could have so many beautiful butterflies in my garden! I think I’ll buy a few…”
Look at the pretty blooms…
Lantana closeup
Lantana closeup
Lantana closeup
I’m sure that was what the previous owners of my house were thinking when they planted 6 of those suckers around the property. I’ve been in this house for 8 years now and for 8 years I’ve been trying to kill these things. I’ve chainsawed them, I’ve poisoned them, I’ve yelled at them, pulled them, threatened them, etc. They just laugh at me and grow back stronger than ever. I am positive that the roots wrap all the way around the foundation of my house.
Don’t get too close… this bush eats medium size dogs and small children…
Lantana Bush
Just as a total unrelated sidenote, amazing the difference in picture quality and color when I switch from my cellphone camera (picture 1) to my digital camera (the rest of the pics). I really should use the better camera more often!

Related Post / Article